Skip to main content

Trescothick "enjoying life now"


This time a year ago, cricketer Marcus Trescothick was back in Taunton after Twenty20 finals weekend knowing that within a few weeks he would have to make an agonisingly difficult decision about whether he could represent his county, Somerset, on one of the biggest occasions in their history.

In finishing runners-up to Sussex, Somerset had qualified to play later in the autumn in the Champions League, the new multi-national Twenty20 tournament to be played in India, with a staggering $2.5 million on offer to the winners.

Trescothick faced a dilemma because while he was a key player for Somerset he had twice been forced to return home from England tours because of a depression-type illness manifesting itself in anxiety attacks.  Subsequently, he was been unable to board a plane for a pre-season tour with his county for the same reason.

Last year he took the brave decision to travel to the Champions League tournament but again was forced to return home early and announced soon afterwards that he would not attempt to play cricket abroad again.

This time, the impasse between the England and Wales Cricket Board and the Champions League organisers over the tournament dates has meant that as things stand no English team will take part in the 2010 tournament.  Trescothick therefore is spared the need to formally rule himself out of travelling.

Happily, his health is bearing up well currently, even under the additional pressures he has taken on in his first year as Somerset’s captain.

“I’m more tired after a day’s play than when my responsibility was just to go out and score runs,” he said last week.  “But I’m really enjoying the things that are making me tired.

“Whereas you had times in a game as a batsman when you could relax a little, as captain you have to be switched on for the whole game.

“You feel it at the end of a day but I enjoy the responsibility, I like having to make choices and take decisions during a game and it is always a good feeling when a decision you have made brings a reward.”

Trescothick acknowledges that his illness has the potential to flare up again but accepts the sacrifice he made in deciding he would not attempt again to travel abroad to play.

“It would have been nice to carry on my career in international cricket but having understood what was going on it was not worth the price I had to pay,” he said.

“I’ve got my head around it a lot more now and I’m enjoying my cricket and my life.”

Trescothick’s book Coming Back to Me was notable for describing his illness and recovery in intimate and sometimes harrowing detail.  Many mental heath charities now suggest it as recommended reading.

Follow the link to buy Coming Back To Me: The Autobiography of Marcus Trescothick.

For more on cricket, visit The Sports Bookshelf Shop.

Home

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2018 Cross Sports Book of the Year Awards: all the winners are named

Brave Paralympian Martine Wright scoops Autobiography prize Add caption The inspiring story of the GB Paralympic athlete Martine Wright has been named Sports Autobiography of the Year at the 16th Sports Book Awards and will be a strong contender for overall Sports Book of the Year for 2018, which will be decided by a public vote. Written in collaboration with journalist Sue Mott, Unbroken , published by Simon & Schuster, tells the remarkable story of Martine’s incredible fight back from the horrors of the July 7 atrocities in London in 2005, when she was sharing a carriage on a tube train on the Circle Line with a suicide bomber, who detonated his device just outside Aldgate station. Seven passengers around her were killed among 52 who lost their lives that day but she survived, albeit at the cost of both her legs. Martine, who took up wheelchair tennis and sitting volleyball as part of her rehabilitation, represented Great Britain in the latter at the 2012 Paralympics...

Shortlists announced for Telegraph Sports Book Awards 2019

Nine categories to be judged as new sponsor starts three-year backing The shortlists have been announced for the annual Sports Book Awards, now sponsored by The Telegraph after the newspaper group signed up to a three-year partnership deal. The Telegraph replaces Cross Pens as headline sponsor. The awards were launched by the National Sporting Club in 2003 and for many years were known simply as the British Sports Book Awards. There are nine categories being judged this year, with the winners of each to be announced early in June. In the autobiography category, former Newcastle physio Paul Ferris’s extraordinary memoir The Boy on the Shed is joined by equestrian Charlotte Dujardin’s The Girl on the Dancing Horse , Kevin Keegan’s My Life in Football , cricketer Moeen Ali’s Moeen , How to be a Footballer by Peter Crouch and superbike star Jonathan Rea’s Dream. Believe. Achieve . The biography category sees boxing, golf, motor racing, rowing, gambling and football repre...

Heavyweights slug it out for title hat-trick

Donald McRae and Duncan Hamilton both named on shortlist for William Hill Sports Book of the Year 2019 Duncan Hamilton Two of British sports writing’s biggest names are among a shortlist of six titles from which the 2019 William Hill Sports Book of the Year will be chosen in early December. Donald McRae and Duncan Hamilton , the only authors to have won the award twice in its 30-year history, both made the final cut after the award’s judging panel whittled down a longlist of 14 to come up with their final selection. South African-born McRae, whose in-depth interviews are an outstanding feature of The Guardian newspaper’s sports pages, won the judges’ vote with Dark Trade: Lost in Boxing in 1996, and with In Black and White: The Untold Story of Joe Louis and Jesse Owens in 2002. Hamilton, born in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, raised in Nottingham and now an adoptive Yorkshireman, was successful in 2007 with Provided You Don't Kiss Me: 20 Years With Brian Clough , and again t...